Safest Place in America: Project Blog

Summary
I learned that the safest city in America is believed to be Dayton, Ohio by me and some of my classmates. I learned that Dayton, Ohio is completely free or almost completely free of wildfires, earthquakes, and hurricanes. Earthquakes are the sudden shake of the Earth and they happen near or on fault lines. The ground is releasing some tension and releases it through fault lines because they are the weakest points in the Earth's crust. Dayton, Ohio is not near or on any fault line, therefore, is safe. One other deadly natural disaster is a wildfire. Wildfires happen in places with lots of dry vegetation because they form when the sun is so hot, dry vegetation catches on fire. Dayton has regular amounts of rain, not allowing the vegetation to become dry enough to catch fire. Dayton is free of one more thing, hurricanes. Hurricanes form over warm ocean waters. The ocean needs to be at least 80 °F or warmer for hurricanes to form. Dayton is not near any warm bodies of water, therefore, also free of hurricanes. For these reasons, Dayton, Ohio is believed to be the safest city in America by me and some of my classmates.


How much did you know about the subject before we started?

I knew things about severe weather as we did a project last year on severe weather but it was done different from this. We had to explain what these disasters did/were, while here we are saying that somewhere natural disasters don't occur and explain why.

What was especially satisfying to you about either the process or the finished product?
What I though was satisfying is the fact we were able to use all the knowledge we had gathered up on natural disasters and where they occurred and was able to put it into a video (newscast for us) on what was a safe place. This seems like a little school project but this could be really useful for who knows how many people.

Did you do your work the way other people did theirs? In what ways did you do it differently? In what ways was your work or process similar?
I did many things similar to other videos. I made a fake news channel, I ad fake names in the video and I just did the basic things in the video that other groups did. I also made the video different from others, Instead of making the video maybe all in one room we made it look like one person was live in Dayton (the city we chose to be the safest). One person was on the news set with the table,etc. And one person with the weather map. To sum it all up the difference is we made realistic.

What would you change if you had a chance to do this piece over again?
I wouldn't change much if did this again but if we did what I would do is have a little bit more of a build up in our video to what the safest city is. Also I would like to change the fake names we gave to each other

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amedeo Avogadro - 5/27/18

Roller Coaster Project Blog - 2/18/18

Wave Communication - 3/25/18