Superhero Life Science 9/28 - 12/3

Image result for mantis shrimp





Summary: The mantis shrimp is one of the most fascinating animals on the earth. Mantis shrimp are only about four inches long but are one of the strongest animals in the world. With the force of a bullet shot from a 22 caliber gun. The way it does this is, once the arm is cocked, a ratchet locks it firmly in place. The large muscles in the upper arm then contract and build up energy. When the latch is released, all this energy is released at once and the lower arm is launched forwards.When the arm is cocked, this structure is compressed and acts like a spring, storing up even more energy. When the latch is released, the spring expands and provides extra push for the club, helping to accelerate it at up to 10,000 times the force of gravity. The way my character uses this is throughout the time he is not punching the energy he is using for the day is stored. So when he does punch all the energy stored is released. He can continuously punch however. It is not just one punch.  If something the size of a person could hit that hard, they could break steel. But they aren't just strong, they're very fast too! They can swing in less that 800 microseconds! In the time it takes you to blink an eye, theoretically the mantis shrimp could punch 500 times! Since the mantis shrimp punches with such force and such speed, it's punch results in something that scientist call a cavitation, a super heated bubble that results in a small flash of light. Between the punch and the heat, the mantis shrimp's prey doesn't stand a chance.

SP3: I collected data from an animal of my choosing (mantis shrimp) to investigate how it does what it does and how I can create a superhero that does the same abilities. As well as how does my superhero that I am basing of the animal do the things the animal does.

XCC: - Structure and Function: The structure of the mantis shrimps arms are what allows the mantis shrimp to punch so hard and so fast. Since the arm stays locked, when it is not being used, it stores up energy, so when it is released all the energy bursts out with lots of force and with strong speed.

Multiplier: This week I was a wander and a creator as first I reaserched my animal and found out how it does things, then I created my drawing of my superhero character based off of the information I had.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amedeo Avogadro - 5/27/18

Roller Coaster Project Blog - 2/18/18

Wave Communication - 3/25/18