Musical Waves Project Blog - 4/22/18



Summary: The relationship between frequency and pitch is that frequency influences pitch. If there is a low frequency, there will be a low pitch. A wave changes with a change in the pitch because the higher the pitch the shorter the wavelength. The appearance of the wave changes with a change in the volume because the louder the sound, the larger the amplitude. When you play higher notes, the waves are closer together. Yet, when you play louder, the waves are taller.

Backward-Looking: How much did you know about the subject before we started? Before we started this unit on musical waves I knew next to nothing about how musical instruments worked. I knew you could tune them and amplify them but I didn't know that vibrations created sound and how these vibrations were made. Another thing I didn't know about this subject before we started was the difficulty of construction for some instruments and how much precision goes into making musical instruments.

Inward-Looking: What was especially satisfying to you about either the process or the finished product? What I found satisfying about the process of this project was that our group was able to delegate tasks without problems. I found it satisfying that I didn't have to worry about a group member not doing their work. This also led to a final product I was satisfied with since we didn't have to rush to get it completed.

Outward-Looking: What grade would you give it? Why? The grade I would give myself would be an A- or B+. This is because our display of information (our slideshow) was a bit boring and our video where we were supposed to display a song our musical instrument played wasn't technically a performance but more a remix. If we had been able to record an actual performance and not a mash-up of notes, I would have been able to confidently give myself an A.

Forward-Looking: What would you change if you had a chance to do this piece over again? If I had the chance to do this piece over again I would have chosen an instrument that easier to tune and/or play. This is because even though our instrument was able to play the required 8 notes, we struggled with it and it took a lot of time. If I were to do it again I would have rather done either a different wind instrument or a string instrument.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amedeo Avogadro - 5/27/18

Roller Coaster Project Blog - 2/18/18

Wave Communication - 3/25/18